Dealing with difficult people can be one of the undeniable occasions in our life. While it can be hard for us to deal with such person, we should learn to have ourselves under-control while interacting with such person. If you are trying to find out what to do in dealing with difficult people, you’ve come to the right article. This article will show you how to deal with difficult people, be it at work or anywhere else.
First of all, we should have the same understanding about the definition of difficult people. Forbes, one of the biggest and renowned magazines known worldwide, describes difficult people as the people who give us hardness when it comes to interacting with them. And the way of hem making us in a difficult way manifest in various ways—from people who spread rumors, always being negative, to even those people who rarely agree to cooperate.
It can as well be described as someone who rarely respects the opinions and inputs of others. Problem-makers can also be considered as one of the difficult types of people.
According to David Brown, there are several kinds of difficult people at work. Each type of people will require different approach of how to deal with difficult coworkers.
- Perfectionists – For ones searching for a quick result, this kind of people can be a bit nuisance for you.
- Aggressive/defensive people – While being assertive can move the team into the better, being overly assertive (aggressive) or having too low of assertiveness can bring a difficult moment for anyone in the team.
- Passive people – Having low confidence can be the problem for anyone. However, if it is a persisting problem, it can lead the team to show their back to that person. Not that the person is useless, it’s just difficult to find a way of how to deal with difficult people at work like this one.
- Some control-freak dudes – Office isn’t just for one specific person. When it comes to a group-setting, a controlling person can make it difficult for the team to mingle in a good way. Decision making can also be difficult.
How to Get Along with Difficult Colleagues?
You may wonder how to get along with difficult people at work. Well, there are three things you can do to deal with that kind of people; which will be mentioned below.
- Trying to understand why these people do that.
- Never underestimate and mistreat the person who does such difficult acts to you.
- Set boundaries with that person, not as a form of disrespecting, but more into a self-respect way.
Dealing with difficult people at work can be troublesome and patience-wrecking. Hence, that’s why people tend to flee away from difficult people.
Working with Hard-to-Handle Type of People
If you have to work with difficult people, you shouldn’t worry about that. One thing you should make sure is that you fully know what you are assigned to do. Keep your focus set on your work and better not to care too much for that person at first. The point is to keep limitation towards the person that you think is difficult to deal with.
Then, when the task assigned to you is done you can try to ‘infiltrate’ a bit by implementing the tips for working with difficult people mentioned above. It may require you reps, and your mood can be turned down. But if you don’t try, nothing will change for the better.