How to Work From Home as an Event Planner – Planning and organizing events from home may sound unconvincing, but the internet helps us to go anywhere. If we like to be on top of everything in terms of organization, if we are creative, and we always help our friends and family in planning their parties and other events. Then we can apply for these types of jobs.
What is event planning and what does an event planner do?
The event planner is the one who is in charge of helping the hosts so that the event is carried out in the best possible way, from a small birthday party, baptism, marriage, to large events such as conferences and workshops.
The main function of an event coordinator is to help the hosts organize, plan and make important decisions. Here are some of the functions of an event planner:
- Finding the most appropriate facilities to hold the event based on the needs of the clients.
- Develop excellent relationships with vendors for different events.
- Build relationships with management and staff to be employed.
- Write business and marketing plans.
- Create outlines for budgets and timelines.
- Set up locations.
- Design and print all marketing collateral.
- Coordinate all event logistics.
- Collect all feedback from attendees at the end of the event in order to improve as needed.
- Procurement of speakers.
- Hire artists.
- Contact and hire catering companies.
- Rent the necessary technical equipment.
- Drafting and submitting sponsorship proposals.
To work in the world of event planners and organizers, it is necessary to take into account some skills to develop:
- Organization: you have to be a highly organized person, since the planning of an event requires a follow-up of notes, documents, purchase orders, contracts, among others. Nothing can escape us in this job.
- You must be a multi-tasker: you must be able to think of all the possible situations that could arise and how to solve them, know how to delegate some functions to try to speed up the work. The one thing you can never delegate is responsibility.
Being an event planner can be an exciting and fulfilling job, but it also requires a lot of commitment.
Working as an event planner from home
Many event planners who start their work from home can be an excellent idea, to begin with, because you can keep expenses low in the critical stages of negotiation and maximize productivity. An event planner and organizer can work from anywhere as long as they have a laptop, cell phone, and internet at their disposal.
We can select a space at home to work, the ideal would be to have a room exclusively for the business. It is also advisable to have a schedule to avoid spending all day in the office. If you have customers with different schedules in our city, it is an advantage to be at home because attending their calls will not be so complicated.
As the business grows, we will surely feel the need to expand, as we get new clients, we will need more space, why? It depends on the niche to be worked, we may find the need to store decorations, banners, and advertisements of recurring customers, and many other accessories that can be used in different events.
Meetings with clients can usually be held in their spaces, and if not, there are places, such as cafes, where all the details of the event being planned can be discussed.
What do you have to study to become an event planner and organizer?
Currently, you can earn a degree from a university in event and meeting planning, hospitality, or tourism. In addition, you can enroll in a program to become a Certified Meeting or Special Events Professional.
It is not really essential to study for a degree, but training in the area is very important, it will always be necessary to take even courses in event planning. But what can you study to organize events?
- Master in event management.
- Wedding Planner.
- Master in marketing, communication, and organization of fashion events.
- MBA in protocol, production, and organization of events.
- Master’s degree in the business protocol. Official protocol and event organization.
- Master’s degree in organization and management of sporting events.
- Master’s degree in event management and organization, protocol, ceremonies and institutional relations.
How much can an event planner earn?
A freelance event planner can earn between $25 to $100 per hour plus vendor commissions, or between 10 and 15% of the total event budget. This will depend on experience and negotiating skills.
Corporate event planners can earn between $50 and $150 per hour, plus vendor commissions. A fee is usually charged for the services provided plus a percentage or commission from some or all of the event vendors.
Benefits of being an event planner
In addition to the benefits we already know from being self-employed, we have:
- The ability to make all decisions related to the event to be organized.
- Enjoy the flexibility of schedules.
- Decide what the rates will be.
- Work on different events.
- Freedom to choose service providers.
- Meet potential clients for each event.
These are just some of the benefits to be obtained in this job, others will depend more on the area of events to be specialized.
Skills an event planner should have
As a professional, you need a set of skills that will make the job memorable. Some of these are:
- Organization and time management.
- Attention to detail.
- Budget analysis.
- Communication and Leadership.
- Sales and negotiations.
- Customer service.
- Various technical skills.
- General knowledge about events.
- Must be a people person.
How can I find a job as an event planner?
- By studying the work of other event planners: You can research and evaluate what other event planners who are already recognized do. If possible, get a temporary job with one of them to learn the basics of the field. Also, you can ask them for advice or help as mentors.
- Start in the local area: It is a good option to get known, volunteer in a charity organization, or start organizing the birthday, wedding or baptism of some friends. Find out if someone in the community is planning a get-together and help them.
- Start with small events: A small event has fewer risks. This will give you the opportunity to identify your strengths and weaknesses so that you can work on them for future events.
- Specialize: In the event industry there is a lot of competition, so it is an excellent idea to specialize in one type of event. Once you have successfully selected your niche, it will be much easier to get jobs in that area.
- Networking: Event organization is a social business, so it is necessary to work with social networks. With them, you can make yourself known and maintain contact with sites, vendors, the public, and many more people. They can also attend industry networking events.
- Market your brand: Events should always be marketed, but personal branding is also important, make an official website and register social networks on all platforms, websites, and event planner registrations. This will help potential clients to find us easily.
If we want to work as an event planner, now is the time to do it!
It is ideal to have many contacts either as clients or collaborators, so it is time to cultivate networking, being a sociable person with communication skills is very important in this world of events.
Undoubtedly creativity in this business is fundamental, please clients by being original, leaving a personal stamp on each event, resolving conflicts, and paying close attention to details.
We hope all the information I leave you with will help you to put your imagination and your entrepreneurial spirit to fly, best of luck!