What are problem solving skills? Problem solving skills can be defined as an act to define a problem, finding the root cause of the problem (including performing identification, setting a priority, and choosing the right solution alternatives), and implementing the solution that is chosen.
Problem solving skills are required not only in business life but also in daily lives. However, not many people think of this as a must-have set of skills of life. As a result, not many people are dealing with problems in a right way.
But why does problem solving skill become important? This is because this kind of skill will help us to resolve the dispute happening not only within our relationship with others, but also resolving the problems within ourselves.
According to some Kepner-Tregoe, problem solving is the main idea of human evolution. Problem solving abilities will make it possible to them to keep thriving. That is why an effective problem solving becomes important not only in working situation but also in the setting of daily life,
You might wonder ‘what is problem solving skills’ method that we have already talked about. Well, there are various sources mentioning different amount of procedures you need to do when it comes to problem solving. However, problem-solving skills include these items mentioned below:
- Identifying the problem – Before getting too far, it’d be better to understand which kind of problem you are having.
- Define the problem – What comes next as the team problem solving strategies is to define the problem. If the previous step resembles to learning the situation, this procedure equals to writing down what the true problem is. Doing so will help you to further understand what acts you need to take.
- Exploring the problem – In this procedure, you are required to dig deeper what is causing the problem. By understanding what is there to fix, you can define what actions you need to take to start the fix.
- Start taking action – After you list down what the problems are and what actions you can take to resolve the problem, do what you can do. It is better to be done as soon as possible than making the problems getting unresolved. Or, getting bigger.
- Always look back – Once you’ve done what you can do in terms of resolving the problem, it’s time to evaluate yourself.
What You Can Get from Learning Problem Solving
As mentioned earlier, you can benefit many things from learning problem solving skills. Several benefits that you can get from that can be listed as follows:
- First, you can make yourself more sensitive in terms of identifying problem.
- Then, you will be used to brainstorm while thinking about any possible solutions.
- Next, you may also get trained for testing the solutions first before implementing it wholly.
- Lastly, by keeping the habit of ‘always look back’, you will learn that it is important to analyze results.
The Unexpected Benefit from Problem Solving
Now you know that learning problem solving skills will leave you nothing but some great benefits. But do you know that learning problem solving skills in the workplace will also give you the opportunity to grow yourself?
This is because the problem solving skills definition, example, and benefits mentioned above told you that it is important to always learn retrospectively and progressively. While you can learn how to learn in a retrospective way, progressively learning can help you to grow and learn a lot from your previous mistakes.